Chances of false positive ELISA test? Is ELISA test conclusive of HIV infection?

I would like to know the chances of a false positive in Elisa Test. I am 39 year old Indian male and would like to get myself tested for HiV.I do occasionally involve myself in unprotected sex . if my result do come back positive from initial elisa test is it conclusive? What are my chances in second elisa and western blot? Has any body tested positive in elisa and tested negative in western blot
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 35 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
An initial positive elisa test is not conclusive and it has to followed by a positive western blot test to confirm the presence of HIV.
There are many instances where false positive initial elisa test occurs and subsequently there is negative western blot test.Such cases are HIV negative.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.