Chances of HIV transmission after protected sex?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi Doc, I had a protected sex with a prostitute recently and from then i'm afriad of having hiv.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Wgy are you afraid? Do you have some symptoms such as rash,fever ,throat pain or hadache? Do you know is this lady HIV+?
Do you think that your condom breaked or something? If not you shouldnt be worried. There is almost no possibility for infection. Condom is 99% safe.
If you want to be sure you can do HIV tests 4 weeks after you had sex.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Chances of HIV transmission after protected sex? 6 hours later
No doc, i don't have any of the symptoms. I'm not sure of the HIV status of that lady. My only worry is the condom was given by that lady and since it was dim light i did not see her opening it from a cover. But for sure condom did not break. I have beautiful loving wife and child. I'm afraid to sleep with my wife after this incident.

What are my chances ? if afraid to death.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Chances are negligible. You really shouldnt be afraid. I dont think it is even necessary to do HIV test. Prostitutes are usually meticulous with condoms and protection, you shouldnt doubt about it.
Even without protection chances are less than 0.1% per exposure. With condom possibility is 100 times less than this.
YOu should be calm, and if you really want to be sure do the HIV test if 3-4 weeks passed after all this.
WIsh you good health and good luck sir.
Follow-up: Chances of HIV transmission after protected sex? 3 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor, your words made me stress free
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later
These are not just words. these are facts:)
Honestly you really have no reason to worry.
wish you good health,sir.