Chalazion on the eyelid. Non-surgical treatment?

Hello. I am 41, 6'1" and 170lb. I have had a Chalazion on my left upper eyelid for about 5 months. The bump is noticable but does not hurt or affect my vision. I would like to avoid surgery if possible. Is this something I can just live with?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 19 hours later

A chalazion is a cyst in the eyelid that is caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland. Antibiotics are of no use, because there is little or no infection.

If the chalazion is small, then a small injection (intralesional steroid) can be used to regress it. If it is a large chalazion, then surgery is the only option. The surgery is relatively simple and it does not involve an external incision, so there will not be any visible scar.

If the chalazion is left unattended with treatment, then the pressure effect of the chalazion on the cornea can lead to development of astigmatism. Also the chances of a chalazion regressing without any surgery are less and may take years.

So my advice to you is to go ahead and do the surgery after discussing with a competent ophthalmologist.

Hope my answer is helpful and useful to you. Should you have any other concerns, I am available to address them.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah