Cervicalgia, pain while sitting, travelling for 15 hours by plane life threatening ?

Hi, My mother is 67. She has cervicalgia (neck pain, back pain, headache, short of breath, sweating) which cause a lot of pain, especially when she sits for long time. Can she take long distance flight of 15 hours? I know that she will be in severe pain while taking the flight, but will this pain be life threatening? Will she have life threatening problems during or after the long flight if her heart and blood pressure are usually normal? Thanks
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

I hope all other causes of back and neck pains have been ruled out.

People suffering from long standing back and neck pains such as cervicalgia are advised against travelling long hours for the reason that such travels can increase the chances of developing pain.
However it is not a life threatening one; and travelling can be done, if absolutely necessary.

I suggest the use of pain relieving medications a few minutes to an hour before the travel. Pain relieving medications such as 'Aleve' are effective for 8-12 hour.

Alternatively, 'Neck and back supports' such as travel pillows may be used to support the neck and spine during the journey.

These measures will help preventing the pain due to travel.

No major complications are expected after the journey too.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.