Ask a Urologist   »  

Cause of urethral itching without discharge or pain?

Hi. I have had urethra itching for three days. No discharge, no pain when peeing. Only sex with my wife, and the last sex we had was 10 days ago. I just went to a local clinic and I don't have a UTI. They took a urine sample to check for STDs, but like I said, that isn't the problem for sure. The Dr there prescribed a topical anti-fungal and and antibiotic. I don't have itching on the outside of my penis so I have no use for the anti-fungal, and I will wait to see the results of the urinalysis before I take the antibiotic. What could this be? It's absolutely not an STD. Also, sometimes after masterbating I feel irritation at the tip of my penis, in the urethra, but that goes away after a few minutes and typically after I pee once or twice.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Prostatitis. Wait till Urinalysis reports. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand. As you are sure about Impossibility of Urinary tract infection or Sexually transmitted diseases, I suspect this itching in tip of penis is referred for Prostatitis. Itching in the tip of the penis and urethra is not a very common symptom of prostatitis, but may occur. I suspect Prostatitis because you have this itching sensation typically after masturbation and passing urine. So you need further evaluation like digital rectal exam to rule out any prostate enlargement. Please wait till the Urinalysis report to rule out any Urinary tract infection and Sexually transmitted diseases. It is not necessary to have sex for Urinary tract infection. Just wait till results to find any possibility of infection. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: Cause of urethral itching without discharge or pain? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX My symptoms are almost 100% gone as of tonight, all I did to remedy them was drink lots of water. Is it possible I was just suffering from some urethral irritation?
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Minor injury. Urinalysis reports? Detailed Answer: Hello. Wishing you good health. Thank god you are alright now. I suspect it may be due to the minor injury in tip of penis or urethra due to masturbation. This may get aggravated by acidic urine. What about the Urinalysis reports? Waiting for your response.
Follow-up: Cause of urethral itching without discharge or pain? 1 hour later
Urinalysis report should be completed by tomorrow. I was told 48 hours. Urinalysis was negative for all infection... no virus or bacteria. As expected.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 47 hours later
Brief Answer: Do you have any any irritation or pain still? Detailed Answer: Hello, Do you have any irritation or pain in tip of penis or urethra still? Waiting for your response.