Cause of blood in mucus and reddish bump inside mouth on upper lip?

ENT Specialist
I have like a reddish as for a small bump inside my mouth on the upper lip and have a lot on the outer top lip and I cough up mucus with a little bit of blood what could it be
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please meet your doctor! Detailed Answer: Hello! The bump on the upper lip can just be a mucus retention cyst, which is a very common swelling on the lips and is easily treatable with antibiotics and hexidine mouth wash! However I am worried about your other complaint, that is coughing up mucus stained with blood, this is a cause of concern and can be due to a host of causes including lower respiratory tract infection to an auto immune disorder. If you persistently see cough with and blood stained mucous, it warrants medical attention at the earliest. The doctor after a complete examination would order routine blood hemogram and X-rays and guide you further. Let me know if you have need any more information. Take care