Cause for pain in the upper right abdomen

General Surgeon
I've been having pain located under my right rib cage and I get a lot of indigestion and acid that will seem to come up in my throat. I also get stomach and intestional discomfort.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gallstones. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Pain in the upper right abdomen is usually caused by gallstones. Such pain can radiate to the back, nausea and intestinal discomfort with loose stools can appear. The symptoms can be triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol. Peptic ulcer in the duodenum can also give such pain. I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound which is the best way to diagnose gallstones. If gallstones will be present, surgery is necessary. In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, fruit juices, chocolate. Please also remember that you need to have gastroscopy every 3 years due to Barrets esophagus (it makes you prone to esophageal cancer). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.