Cataract surgery,severe eye pain,pressure in eye.Cause blindness?

Hi I just had my cataract surgery done on my right eye about 4 weeks ago. I am49 years old. However from the time the surgery was done, I had excruciating pain on my eye. As it being the first surgery for me, I took is as norm. However the pain did not subside much and on the 6th day I consulted my surgeon and he said there was pressure in my eye due to my eye rejecting my artificial lens, corrected the eye drops to improve the pressure. As days went by the pain and pressure doped but i still experience pain in my right eye. When I press my surgeon for an answer to this pain, he mention that my main nerve could have been damage during the surgery. And it will heal with longer time and will not cause blindness or other complication. Is this true? I did the cataract surgery on my left eye 2 weeks ago with the same surgeon and it went well, Please advice as I am still having this pain. At the moment my vision(right eye) is alright as advised before the surgery.Thank you and await your reply.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 30 minutes later

Since your vision is intact, and the only issue is the presence of pain, which might be due to inflammation of the nerve endings or the blood vessels within the eyes. This is referred to as neuritis or vasculitis in medical terms.

Such conditions although are benign and usually resolve over time, without complications, the presence of pain is due to the inflammatory reaction.

Usually such a pain due to inflammatory reaction can be relieved by taking nonsteroidal medications ( Ibuprofen OR Naprosen) for a week or two.

In case this is not helpful, a course of steroids, tapered over 2 weeks might help.

In case, you develop symptoms like blurrring of vision, onset of purulent discharge, throbbing pain, redness of eyes , etc - they would indicate presence of a infection, needing treatment with antibiotics.

You might consult your doctor, who can examine your eyes, and then prescribe you the steroid medications.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.