Cast removed from broken humerus. Getting pain and x-ray showed no healing. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my 8 year old daughter broke her humerus and was it was reduced then put in a full cast from shoulder to wrist, one week later they removed the cast and used a plastic clam cast just on her upper arm, NOW she is in pain and I took her back to the ER and the bone is NOT set, it is NOT touching ( I have x-rays ) and they say it's fine and they won't touch it or do anything more.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I have seen the images attached. The image with full cast is showing a good reduction of the fractured fragments. In the plastic clam cast, there is mild displacement but in an 8 year old child, the healing capacity of the bone is good, This will heal on its own and after good remodeling, the bone pieces will come in alignment in next 4-6 months. Any operative procedures are not required right now.
She only needs to keep her arm immobilized in the cast to avoid any pain. A follow up X-ray after 2 weeks will help in detecting the extent of healing that has taken place. Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Cast removed from broken humerus. Getting pain and x-ray showed no healing. Worrisome 16 minutes later
So you feel at this time a " Setting " or rematching of the bones is not needed ? Meaning no reduction is required for this to heal.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Any further setting is not needed. This will heal on its own and the bone ends will gradually align themselves after remodeling. She can take a mild pain killer to help with her pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.