Cast on fractured tibia. Slipped and put pressure on leg. Will this cause any problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I recently broke my tibia on Dec 31 and i am currently still in a full leg cast. I am not to put and weight or pressure on my leg yet. I had a slip up and had to put pressure on my leg briefly. Could this cause me any problems? once my leg is in a cast is it posibble for the bone to become out of alignment?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

Casting for fractures is still a good option for hairline or undisplaced or minimally displaced fractures. Since you have not mentioned the exact site of fracture, its difficult for us to guide you better. If possible you can post images of your recent Xrays (before and after cast application).

Generally at your age fracture in long bone(s) of lower limb will take atleast 12-15 weeks to heal. Fractures can heal even if there is minimal mal-alignment. Disadvantages of casting are stiffness of nearby joints, delayed weight bearing till bone unites and at times fracture may not heal also.

You can take calcium supplements.

Hope i have cleared your doubts. Get well soon.