Cannot sleep on bed as sinus blocks up. Sleep on recliner. What to do?

ENT Specialist
I cannot sleep in my bed. As soon as I lay down my sinus' block up almost immediately. I can sleep in a recliner but it is not a very good sleep. Am I allergic to something or have sinus problems
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have nasal obstruction or sinus blockage on lying down, the most likely cause is hypertrophied (enlarged) nasal turbinates which are normal, shelf like bones covered with mucosa found on the side (lateral) walls of the nose.

2. Get a nasal exam, preferably with an video nasal endoscopy. Besides these turbinates, the septum, any spur, nasopharynx and nasal valve areas must be observed. Do you snore?

3. A trial of medication for two weeks with an anti-histamine, anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray, regular steam inhalation should be taken in consultation with your doctor. If there is no relief, a plain Ct PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) pre (after lying down for some time) and post decongestion with an OTC nasal decongestant such as Otrivin may help understand the nature of the blockage.

4. Allergic problems may also be related to avoidable antigens such as dust mites, dust , humidity or sudden changes in temperature and so on.

4. Depending upon the results of these medications and scan, further treatment may be planned. Recent new and successful treatments include Radio-frequency, Co-ablation and Balloon Sinuplasty besides regular options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.