Cannot sit up with stomach muscles, round belly, have arthritis, had hernia. Done open surgery. Any ideas?

in 2006 i had a nisen redo, it had come apart. it was a full open surgery, breast bone to belly button. i developed 2 incisional hernias, one right below my sternum and one about 3 inches above belly button. the one they attempted to fix laproscopically was below my rib cage, told me they were using mesh, suppose to be in hospital for 1 day was in hospital for 7 days because they couldn't do it laproscopically had to open up again and do it that way. from day one it has been strange. can't sit up wiith my stomach muscles, can't get them into shape. have gained a round belly, which i never had before, have what feels like something sticking me in the left side of my rib cage, nauseated most of the time, arthritis is starting to take over my joints, and of course the hernia popped right back out about a week after they did the surgery, like it was never put back in place at all. i'm exhausted all the time, to where i have had to cancel plans because i don't have the energy to even hold my head up. any ideas, is this a mesh problem? what can i do? i'm so tired of feelling like poo.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 15 hours later
Thank you for posting your query,
I noted you have very comprehensive history that can partially explain your present symptoms. Your gastric discomfort, mild pain, nausea appeared possible due to gastroesophageal reflux that frequently associated with hiatal hernias. In this case you may try over the counter H2 receptor blocking drugs like Ranitidine or ask your Physician prescribe proton pomp inhibitor. Don’t try any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve that pain, these drugs can cause recurrent bleeding ( you stated you had recent ulcer bleeding in 2012 ). Probably due to present symptoms you avoid some meals or you have incomplete meals that can explain your weakness, tiredness, so maintain equilibrated diet, maintain ideal body mass index. To clarify if you have not any post surgery complication and “ mesh “ in the place , easiest way is Imagistic investigation.

Hope this helps, if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask,

Best Regards,