Cannot breathe through nose, headache, mood swings, constipation. Had sinus surgery.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I can't breath thru my nose, headaches all the time mood swings depression constant constipation, I have had sinus surgery removal of polyps nd corrected deviated septum. Didn't help I am concerned with my brain function, due to I think I am not getting enough oxygen weight gain went to allergists XXXXXXX it was allergies has to be more than that I took shots for a year and a half they didn't help. Mood swings are very bad. I cry very easily like breathing threw my nose upset a little tears just fall, I'm tired of being sick afraid my husband will leave me if I don't get better. I'm sick of being sick, in the past I have taken depression medicinebut it didn't cure me it obviously is not going to fix my nose problems.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later

It is possible for nose problems to arise after a traumatic accident and surgery.
Please do not lose hope; I empathize with the magnitude of your problems.

Please be positive as it helps in faster cure of any ailment.

First of all you need to confirm your diagnosis which could be atopic or allergic rhinitis or a autoimmunity or atrophied nasal mucosa or less likely a cognitive brain problem or a hormonal disorder.

You might need to undergo tests functional endoscopy of nasal and sinus passages, recent MRI of brain or head face neck region and a thorough clinical as well as psychological evaluation by an experienced physician and psychiatrist respectively.

If your allergist feel it’s allergy then you should be given trials of steroidal nasal sprays or inhaler medications and still one year is pretty long time for clinical improvement. Results should be achieved in few (3 to 6) months time.

You should not blame yourself for your problems as this can happen to anyone.

I suggest you also consult a neurologist to rule out any neurological cause for your symptoms.

Follow-up: Cannot breathe through nose, headache, mood swings, constipation. Had sinus surgery. 1 hour later
So I was wondering since you do specialize in migraine headaches, what do you think about lack of oxygen to the brain as a possible cause to headaches and Migraines? I deffinitly have blocked swollen passages that have been for years. Sometimes the headaches get so bad that they last for weeks on end, I can hardly function then. The last MRI or Ctscan I had before the sinus surgery only went as far up as my eye brows only frontal sinuses. So I'm just wondering if maybe I should get my entire head xrayed to kind of look at the nerves, and rule out a tumor of some sort. I'm deff not a hypo condriac or anything but I have wondered about this often. I quit going to the doctor for about a year now as everything we have tried hasn't worked. That is why I tried this online thing.
I do appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up.

Chronic lack of oxygen or more commonly retention of carbon dioxide due to breathing problems can cause headaches which are usually seen in patients with lung disorders. Also by neurovascular mechanisms might (theoretically) cause migraines.

If you haven't got a brain scan you should get one to observe the pituitary gland, any space occupying mass and the cranial nerves at the base of the brain.

I think you should consult a neurologist and I do believe that not all doctors will dismiss you as hypochondriac, unless they have evidence.