Can you tell me how to calculate weeks during pregnancy? Suggest some diet plans

Hello Doctor,

I have the following questions for you !!

1.Can you tell me how to calculate weeks during pregnancy? My Last periods Date is 6th of May and the cycle between 31 to 33 days.
My doctor asked me to take down syndrome test in 13th week. I had confusions in calculating weeks, so i am yet to take this test.

2.Second Query, Many people are advising about foods i take. Recently i read in a local paper that pregnant women should not eat Fish. How much true is this? I love to eat fish and crabs.. not much but with limits.

3. What foods we should really avoid and what foods are mandatory to eat during pregnancy??

4. Sleeping position: some people say we should sleep turning left side and few right side.. does this change based on number of months?

Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 39 hours later
The weeks are calculated from day 1 of last periods ie from 6.5.2012.
the correct calculation is done based on first ultrasound also known as dating scan.
Since your cycle length is3-5 days longer there is a possibility of having a baby little less old compared to your menses dates by 3-5 days which is normal.
You have completed 13 wks on 5.8.2012.
Please check if there is difference in first ultrasound dates(today itself). If you have completed 13 wks a few lab still take Double Marker till 13.4 wks so pl find out ASAP.
Fish and crab in moderate amount is safe (well washed and cooked).
Its customary to advise against eating Papaya in pregnancy in India though there is no such recommendations in evidence based studies.
Its best to sleep on your left side after 20 wks of pregnancy till then other positions are ok. its ok to be on rt side also. Avoid sleeping straight after 20 wks.