Can vomiting and diarrhea cause elevated liver enzymes?

I had diarehea and vomiting for 5 days. Before I was feeling well I had my annual bloodwork done. My liver enzymes were elevated twice normal. Could this cause elevated enzymes?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: gastroenteritis? Detailed Answer: Hello, Elevated liver enzymes can be due to many reasons. Alcohol, hepatitis, celiac disease, certain drugs, fatty liver, obesity, gall bladder problems are some of them. Diarrhea and vomitting are general symptoms and usually related to the gastro-enterological system. Certain causes of elevated liver enzymes do cause vomitting, but less commonly diarrhea. You need an ultrasound and more testing to find out the cause of the elevated liver enzymes. Its possible the two are unrelated. Start a course of antibiotics and probiotics. If its an infection, it should clear up within a few days.