Can ulcers and raw throat cause dry heaves and strips of blood in vomit ?

im 37 yrs old. weight was 184 2 weeks ago and now is 168. ive had a partial rescectomy in 2010. have three ulcers, and hbp. Ive been throwing up for 13 days and have diarhea for about 10 days. Been to three to four ers for this and they give me fluids and reglan then they send me home. Within 5 hours after that Im going back to the same thing again. Symptoms are burning cramping in stomach, very tired and wore out, sometimes confused, sever dizziness to the point I have fallen down, heart is pounding,mouth is dry beyond belief, muscle cramps, headache, blood pressure drops to 89/56 when standing. When i vomitt its just dry heaves and makes my throat hurt and i do see strips of blood in it. I think thats from my ulcers and raw throat. Please help. I dont know what else to do. Drs dont seem too concerned.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

From your query you indicated you had a partial resectomy. Did you mean partial gastrectomy? This is where a portion of the stomach is removed due to irritation or ulcers.

If it has been close to one year now since the surgery I am surprised to see you having this many issues. It looks like you are dehydrated from your BP results and your overall feelings. Certainly if you are unable to keep foods down you can become dehydrated quickly.

If you are this ill and your physicians are not responding I suggest you seek a second opinion from a general internist. You may need coordination of care with a gastroenterologist as well. Reglan can help nausea sometimes but does not seem to be doing the job for you. You may need something more aggressive such as Zofran which is excellent at treating nausea.

Your diet needs to be bland - bread, rice, applesauce etc and very very small amounts. You may need to eat 8 to 10 meals per day in small quantity.

Your debilitated health is quite concerning and I am sorry I am not able to recommend more than seeking the second opinion but I really think that is what you need right now. You cannot go on being this ill without some kind of intervention.

I thank you again for submitting the query. I hope this answer has served to be both helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns regarding this I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga