Can type I herpes be spread by kissing?

I contarcted herpes on my mouth from performing oral sex on someone... I cant remember if its type 1 or 2 but it is the type that is usually genital..i have only hade 1 out break in about a year.. A few nights ago after a few drinks i kissed a friend of mine.. I am not broken out now and was not broken out then... I feel horrible about doing that and am wondering what are the chances i passed it to my friend by kissing them?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NO possibility Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about these disturbing thoughts going through your mind. The herpes that is usually genital is called type 1. If you had no sores when you kissed your friend, there is an almost a 0% chance that you could contaminate your friend. This is because we need sores that are actively producing these viruses for any contamination to be possible. If it were not the case, then once we have herpes we may never be able to kiss someone without contaminating them, that is not true. Feel free and relaxed knowing you did not contaminate your friend. In all, Kissing a friend without active sores cannot lead to transmission and contamination. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to for more information or clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.