Can type 2 diabetes be cured permanently ?

Oncologist
Question
HI CAN TYPE 2 DIABETES BE CURED PERMANENTLY? AND WILL DIABETES CAUSE NUMBNESS IN THE LEG ALONG WITH ITCHY FEEL.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 35 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Currently there is no medical cure for type 2 diabetes although research is ongoing. However, there are sometimes lifestyle modifications which can have a significant impact on your diabetes. These modifications include weight loss and exercise. If you are overweight, a 5 to 10 pound weight loss can have a significant impact on improving your blood sugar. In addition, regular exercise of 4 to 5 days per week will also make your body more efficient at handling blood sugar so the peaks in the blood sugar will come under better control. For example, I had a patient who developed type 2 diabetes with an average blood sugar near 200 (normal is under 100). He was started on medications which improved the blood sugars. He eventually lost 25 pounds and ultimately did not need the medication anymore.

Diabetes can cause numbness of the legs as well. This is known as diabetic neuropathy. It happens because the elevated blood sugars are toxic to the nervous system and causes the numbness and tingling. It may get better as your blood sugar comes under better control.

I hope you have found this response to be both adequate and informative. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.