Can tonsillitis, sharp ear pain and pain in windpipe be indications of thyroid cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
I had tonsillitis on 1 tonsil 2 weeks ago. Completely resolved. At the time I was convinced I had tonsil cancer. Googled it over and over. It quickly resolved thank god. Doctor said my eardrum looked fine. Over the years, socially I smoked and drank.So worried about head and neck cancer as I am hospice nurse. Then I developed pain in windpipe. Have intermittent sharp ear pain on left side. History of itchy ears. I am now convinced I have throat/thyroid cancer. However, I have no hoarseness or difficulty swallowing whatsoever. The pain is mild, vague intermittent. Sometimes, I wonder am I suffering from anxiety. Don't know anymore.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 9 hours later
hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. Since you are a nurse it is obvious that you are surrounded by people having many problems and no disease can be more scary than cancer. But rest assured that tonsillitis will never lead to cancer. Also your problems like occasional pain in the throat or itchy sensation are obviously only due to anxiety and also can occur in everyone without any serious cause. In any case there are some things which you can do to reduce both your anxiety and also the risk of developing cancer - take a healthy diet full of green leafy vegetables - avoid smoking and stop it completely - watch out for the suspicious signs of cancer like extreme weight loss, chronic cough, any abnormal lump, difficulty in swallowing or breathing but do not get paranoid about these symptoms as even anxiety can cause any of these - reduce your stress levels. You are working in a high stress environment and so you must take a relaxation method to reduce your stress like maybe yoga or meditation - if you feel your throat problems are recurrent then take an Upper GI endoscopy which will definitely rule out any lump and also give you some confidence that everything is fine down your throat - any suspicious problem do not waste your time in searching around the net and increasing your fear; rather you must immediately consult your doctor - start a course of anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole in consultation with your doctor and you will definitetely feel better Hope this helps and remember that everyone is scared of cancer but do not let it overcome you if you have any more doubts you can always get back to me regards Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Can tonsillitis, sharp ear pain and pain in windpipe be indications of thyroid cancer? 9 hours later
Thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: Hello there, You are welcome Regards Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Can tonsillitis, sharp ear pain and pain in windpipe be indications of thyroid cancer? 52 minutes later
Sorry doctor, I forgot to say that the pain on left side is intermittent left ear pain. Sharp and piercing. At the end of the day I feel choked up in the throat. But wonder is that from the anxiety of thinking bout it for all the hours beforehand. But if it was anything sinister I'm sure symptoms would be more severe.

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: just anxiety Detailed Answer: Hello again The pain in all probability could be due to anxiety but you can take a pain killer like paracetamol in considering with your doctor. If it persists then see an ENT but if it is only intermittent and not constant and not very severe then rest assured you have nothing to worry about Hope this helps Regards Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Can tonsillitis, sharp ear pain and pain in windpipe be indications of thyroid cancer? 33 minutes later
Thanks so much.

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: Hello again, You are welcome Take care and continue your great work Regards Dr Sriram Nathan