Can thyroidectomy surgery affect the results of blood alcohol level reading?

I have come across numerous amounts of literature about the alteration in the process of alcohol metabolism in patients post total thyroidectomy. Is it true that this type of surgery can affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading? I have had a lot of answers that were very informative from all over the world. Is anyone from the United States on this forum. I ask this because I would like to get information from every country. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 9 days later

Welcome and thanks for the query

As you can see that I am an Indian doctor but just couldn't resist adding a few lines as I read the query on my dashboard.

As far as thyroidectomy is concerned , there should an underlying cause for the surgery like Hashimoto's which is very common in US.I am asking the underlying cause as it changes the whole scenario.If a person is on thyroid medication , there can be high levels of T4 and normal or low levels of T3 as the liver plays an important role in changing the T4 to T3 due to which there can be an altered level of acetaldehyde.So the both are correlated because of liver and not because of the surgery.Any other hypothyroid patient who has not undergone surgery may have the same features and associations.
Best wishes