Can tetrahydrocannabinol be detected on routine blood test?

would thc show up on routine blood test if so would they notify the employeer?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 55 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Yes, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can be detected in bodily fluids like blood, urine, sweat, oral fluid or even hair. It cannot be detected through routine blood investigations, but only with the combination of immunoassay and chromatographic techniques.

It takes around 3-4 weeks for the THC to get completely excreted from the blood. So if the last time you have taken this was more than 4 weeks ago, then it should not show up on the tests.

Cannabis abuse is supposed to be reported to the authorities. By authorities I mean rehabilitation or addiction centers. Institutions also follow protocol of informing parents or elders in the family.

Employers are not always informed, though this protocol does exist in a few centers. Thus, I cannot say for sure whether or not the laboratory you are visiting will inform your employer or not.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.