Can taking levothyroxin for hypothyroidism cause seborrheic dermititis?

Question
Can taking a synthetic hormone such as levothyroxin for hypothyroidism cause seborrheic dermititis?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Synthetic thyroid hormone preparation Levothyroxin is not known to cause Seborrheic dermatitis.

On the contrary, lack of treatment in a hypothyroid state may lead to seborrhoeic dermatitis due to the skin changes during hypothyroidism like dry and coarse skin and decreased sebum production.

Seborrhoeic dermatitis in hypothyroid patients may be there due to the changes in the immunity levels ( decreased immunity) due to hypothyroidism itself.

Thyroid function tests are always recommended in resistant patients of dermatitis with alopecia.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can taking levothyroxin for hypothyroidism cause seborrheic dermititis? 2 hours later
Recently I have been having problems with my scalp. I have something like extreme dandruff, but it is like chunks of skin. I was looking it up online and was thinking it might be seborrbeic dermititis. There is no redness though, just white scaling looking skin. Is there some treatment that I could get at the store or should I get it checked out at my physician?

Thanks for writing again
.
Excessively scaly skin needs not only the topical treatments but also some immunomodulatory therapies for complete treatment.

Please consult your Dermatologist to confirm the same and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can taking levothyroxin for hypothyroidism cause seborrheic dermititis? 7 hours later
Seeing as I have hypothyriodism and have forgotten to take take my pill on a regular basis I am finding this as the cause. Along with taking my pill daily; what over the counter treatment would best be used to treat this issue?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Hello.
For OTC treatment you can apply an antifungal lotion and a hydrocortisone ointment for relief for some time. These do not provide a long lasting relief and the recurrences are common.
Regards.