Can something get stuck in colon? Will it come out?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Can something get stuck in your colon?.......or will it come out anyway?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 37 minutes later

A lot depends on the following factors :

1] State of the substance involved ? [Solid, SemiSolid, Spongy etc].
2] Route of Ingestion? If Swallowed and of a size greater than Ileocecal junctions [Place where the small intestine joins the colon] may get held up at the valve if solid hard.
3] If inserted from anus and smaller than diameter of the anus ,should usually come out with defecation

If you are asking this because you had ingested something and are worried about it being stuck in the colon, I would like to caution you that, under all prevaling circumstances avoid taking laxatives without medical supervision

Get an Xray or Sonography done to know the level at which the substance is held up and we can guide you how to go ahead

Hope I have replied to your query, Incase you need further clarification do revert back.

Follow-up: Can something get stuck in colon? Will it come out? 3 hours later
Thank you very much for your kind explanation. I am talking about condom. One last question. How long before it is expelled? I defecated once but it did not come out. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later

Do not worry. Cent Percent it will be expelled by itself. Usually within 24-48 hours of insertion.

There are chances that it goes out embedded in stool so you may not notice it.

Hope all is clear.

Get Well Soon.