Can snake bite give virus that lurks in the old age ?

HI,and thank you, I have a friend in the Philippines that was advised by a doctor that her fathers snake bite had given him a virus (possibly) that was lurking until he was older or sick-is this possible?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

A snake bite could certainly serve as a source of infection - either bacteria or virus. I need to know which virus he was told that is involved here. There are thousands of viruses and depending on the exact location of the snake this would help us decide if it is truly possible that a snake bite may have caused some type of latent viral infection.

From what you asked I am assuming that this man was bitten in the past and is now sick? Or is it that he was bitten recently and the doctor thinks he has a virus that could cause a future illness?

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer has been adequate and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. I also await any additional information you could provide about your friends father.

Dr. Galamaga