Can sinus infection cause dizziness?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015
Excellent

Question
Hello - can a sinus infection causr dizziness? I dont have any nasal congestion but i can tell my ears feel full and i have some post nasal drainage
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 6 minutes later
Hi, Fullness of ear is due to spread of infection through Eustachian tube which connects nasopharynx to middle ear. Management includes: 1. Antihistamines like Allegra 2. Paracetamol 500mg three times a day after food. 3. Antibiotics based on culture & sensitivity reports. 4. Warm water gargle. 5. Steam inhalation. Take care.

Follow-up: Can sinus infection cause dizziness? 1 minute later
Can this dizziness

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Transmission of pressure/ infection to inner ear Detailed Answer: Hello Christena, Thanks for your follow up query. Let me explain you in details. As I have mentioned in my previous answer that there is a connecting tract (known as Eustachian tube) between the nasopharynx & middle ear through which infection can spread to ear. Now because of this infection & inflammation, there is build up of pressure in the ear. This pressure gets transmitted to the inner ear which has a specialized structure called Vestibular apparatus. The Vestibular apparatus plays an important role in maintaining the posture & body balance. Hence, a disturbance in this apparatus secondary to build up of pressure & spread of infection in ear causes dizziness. As the sinusitis gets treated, the symptoms of dizziness, post nasal drip & sensation of pressure in ears will automatically subside. Hope I have been able to answer your query. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.