Can severe anxiety be debilitating and cause abdominal pain with disturbed sleep?

I have suffered with depression for 30 years, 4 year ago after coming off high dosage of meds withdrawals caused severe Gad, no meds are now working and I am trying to come off Serequel which was only administered whilst I was on an AD to assist with it. However was taken off AD & as no other AD was working find pointless to stay on 50 mg serequel. My problem is anxiety is severe but I am totally debilitated with extreme weakness. Accomplish nothing, go nowhere and too weak to walk about. My question? Can anxiety be so debilitating, I also have a lot of abdominal pain and my nights are just full of dreams constantly?
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes anxiety can be very disabling Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Abdominal pains and bad dreams could also be a manifestation of anxiety and yes, anxiety could be very bad and impairing. Its unfortunate that you could not tolerate antidepressants and they were also ineffective for you. The treatment of anxiety also involves treatment with antidepressants. One drug which i commonly use in my clinic is Paroxetine, which I am not sure whether your doctor has used it or not. Paroxetine shows its efficacy in 2-3 weeks and is a good drug and if not tried then you should give it a try. Other bening but effective drugs for anxiety are propranolol and clonazepam. If you are now everse to the drugs and do not want to use them at all then the other option is cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.