Ask a Urologist   »  

Can pus cells in the semen affect the health of an unborn baby ?

I am 36 years old. i have pus cell in semen 18-20 hpf and was taken Augmentin 625mg for 7daysx2. Immediately my wife got conceived and now 39 days. We are much afraid the pus cell may affect to health of the baby. Kindly explain more about it.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 56 minutes later

Let me congratulate yourself at the outset.

As far as the pus cells and the infection in the semen is concerned, don't worry about it. It is not going to affect your baby in any way.

Nature only allows healthy sperm to fertilize and produce fetus; no infection travels into baby.

However, I would encourage you to avoid sexual intercourse now (when you have infection); as they will increase the risk of genital infections in your partner. Genital infections during pregnancy is a bit concerning needing appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available for follow ups.