Can pain in back after a fall be a spinal injury?

Jul 2016

My 9 year old had his legs sept out form under him by the dog running by and landed on his back- knocked the wind out of himself and cried- we iced the lower back- belt area- should I be worried ABOUT SPINAL INJURY OR KIDNEYS?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to consult Orthopaedic surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your son has sustained injury to his back and you are worried about any injury to his kidneys or spine. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) Can he move his legs or can he walk without any pain ? 2) Does he have pain in his back? 3) Did he pass blood in urine after injury? Pain in back associated with weakness in lower limbs is the the main symptoms of spinal injury and passing blood in urine is the main sign of any injury to kidney. If he does not have any of these symptoms you need not worry at all . You may consult qualified Orthopaedic surgeon for clinical examination to rule out any spinal injury.This will help you to allay your anxiety. In the mean while give him pain killers like Diclofenac or Paracetamol to relieve his pain. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Can pain in back after a fall be a spinal injury? 13 minutes later
legs seem to be working fine- no weakness, no blood in urine, he seems sore but no sharp pain -but lower back tenderness
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is due to trivial injury to back muscles Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. It seems pain is to be trivial injury to muscles of back and does not need any more tests .There is no injury to spine or kidneys. It should get resolved within a week. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.