Can one fly with a hard painful vein in the leg?

hi my brother has a hard painful vein in his leg that is very painful and even hurts when he coughs.What do you suggest to relieve this condition
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Can one fly with a hard painful vein in the leg? 4 minutes later
is it a problem to fly to europe with this condition
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

I would be able to opine better on your brother's problem if you can provide me some more information on it , like :

1) Since when did he notice the lesion ?

2) Is there any redness surrounding the lesion ?

3)How was it been confirmed that the swelling is a vein ?

4)Do you have reports on any tests performed on the lesion ?

5)How big is the lesion approximately ?

If you can please do send a image of the lesion he has , it will be much helpful.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Can one fly with a hard painful vein in the leg? 5 hours later
There is redness he does have varicose veins.he said it is painful and hardened.
It seems to be swollen
He also said it hurts when he coughs
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

I apologise for the delay in writing back to you.

Acute pain associated with redness along the enlarged veins could be a sign of superficial thrombophlebitis which refers to inflammation of the superficial veins. However 'Deep Venous thrombosis' needs to be ruled out in such cases.

A physical examination and perhaps 'Doppler study' of the limbs is entailed to rule DVT.

I would not suggest travelling in the presence of DVT.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I will be available to answer follow up query should you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Can one fly with a hard painful vein in the leg? 33 minutes later
It seems to be superficial thrombophebitis.
Why does it feel hardened and is there a over the counter remedy or relief for this condition?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

The hardened feeling is due to either thickening of the vein walls or due to inflammation induced local edema.

Yes, OTC class of Anti inflammatory drugs will surely help you here, One amongst them is Ibuprofen.Do discuss with your treating doctor about the dosage and course .

Wish you good health.