Can neurotonin and subutex crosses the placental barrier and can either cause birth defects?

need to know if neurotonin and /or subutex crosses the placental barrier and can either cause birth defects if so what.ty.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Neurotonin (gabapentin) does indeed cross the placental barrier and can reach the fetus of a pregnant woman. Although, all research has only been conducted in animal subjects and not humans. Animal studies have reported a delay in ossification (fusing, growth, development) of bones of the skull, vertebra, forelimbs and hindlimbs; and a few kidney abnormalities as well. Thus, neurotonin should be prescribed in pregnant women only if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Subutex (buprenorphine) also crosses the placental barrier and has reported to have more serious outcomes in the growth and development of the fetus, but again only in animal studies. Documented human studies have not been conducted. The effects observed in animal studies include:
-Loss of the implantation (spontaneous abortion)
-Acephalus (absence of the head of fetus)
-Omphalocele (defect in development of abdominal wall of fetus, resulting in organs like liver, intestines, etc; remaining/protruding outside of the abdomen in a sac
-Skeletal abnormalities
-Dystocia (difficulties in child birth)
Again, subutex should only be prescribed to a pregnant woman if the benefits clearly outweigh the risks.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answer after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.