Can my lungs tolerate surgery due to Hurthle cell cancer?

hello I have wegeners granulomatosis disease. They tell me that my breathing capacity at best is 46%. I have now been diagnsed with Hurthles cancer and there are 11 tumors they want to take out. Are my lungs strong enough to handle the surgery?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Wegeners granulomatosis affects all the arteries of the body decreasing the lung perfusion thus reducing the total lung capacity.

Hurthle cell cancer is even more rapidly progressing disease and the nodules need to be removed as soon as possible.

Delaying the surgery will not improve your lung function.

There is considerable anaesthetic risk during the surgery but you are not left with many options.

If the spreading tumors are not removed, there is every possibility of tumor metastasizing to other parts of body including lungs further compromising your lung functions.

On the other hand 46% of lung perfusion should safely allow you to handle the stress of surgery with the help of medicines and continuous oxygen supply.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.