Can muscle strain cause breast inflammation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have general soreness along my sides (ribcage) and arms which I think is caused by playing golf for the first time in five months. No warm-up. I know - stupid. I also have left-side throat discomfort but I attribute this to "things in the air" - XXXXXXX hill country - on the same golf outing. Queasy. Cold/chills. But what worries me most is that my left breast hurts - is very sore and swollen....very tender: breast bone to side ribs and the full breast. I have never experienced this before. Can muscle strain cause breast tissue pain/inflammation? I have implants.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It can be due to strain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The muscle strain due to inadequate warming up can cause the pain and swelling on one side of the breast like you are having. All you have to do now is to allow it to rest and avoid working with left hand. Use anti inflammatory medications prescribed by your physician for few days. Try not to get it in extreme positions unless required. Occasional hot fomentation is recommended. This should slowly subside with hot fomentation and proper relaxation. In case, It does not subside on its own in next 72 hours or it is associated with severe pain, and considerable swelling around the area, it could indicate a tear of one of the muscle fibres. In that case, you might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL