Can midpiece defects detected in semen analysis have any impact on conception or birth defects ?

I am 55 year old male involved with a younger woman who wants to have a child. I had a semen analysis done which indicates 78% motility, 71% rapidly progressive, 257.5 concentration, etc. All indicators are positive, except midpiece defects which are indicated 73% (head defects not indicated and tail defects 17%). I cannot discern from information available on the net if this would be a significant impediment to conception, would result in birth defects or other abnormal outcomes.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

All indicators told by you are within normal range .
Mid piece defects are not very significant as long as you have normal motility,normal headpiece, normal tail(which you have),absence of antisperm antibody.
The morphology of the sperm is also evaluated. With WHO criteria as described in 2010, a sample is normal if 4% (or 5th centile) or more of the observed sperm have normal morphology.

So according to me this would not be a significant impediment to conception, and would not result in birth defects or other abnormal outcomes.

So I suggest you go ahead and Have a baby and everything should be alright.

I hope you got your answer,

Let me know if you have any other queries.