Can lower leg pain and urge to urinate frequently be related to lumbar strain ?

4 months ago I had a fall on ice and landed on my lower back . Since then I have been unable to work and am being treated for a "lumbar strain". Recently I've began to have severe lower leg pain on the left and foot pain on the right with walking being very difficult . I've also have the urge to urinate much more frequently than before . Any Ideas ?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 6 hours later
Hello ,

It has been very long since the fall.

To help you accordingly, additional information might be essential.

1. Have any tests been done after the fall (eg. X XXXXXXX spine, MRI )

2. Have you been undergoing any kind of physiotherapy ?

3. What medications are you currently on ?

The onset of lower leg / foot pain in both sides - with a prior history of a fall indicates a possibility of a compressive lesion of the lower spinal nerve roots (Lumbosacral due to many reasons like Anxiety,Diabetes,Enlarged prostate,Interstitial cystitis,
Prostatitis (infection of the prostate gland) ,nervous system diseases,Urinary incontinence.

It needs a detailed examination by a urologist to come to a diagnosis.

A proper diagnosis can be made clinically after a physical examination, of the back and the lower limbs. In case of doubts further testing like MRI or nerve conduction studies might be needed.

Once such a diagnosis is confirmed, treatment might be needed with prescription medications like Flexeril , or Lyrica to reduce the muscle spasm and nerve related pain.

You might consult your treating doctor who might help you and proper treatment.

I hope this helps to answer your questions effectively.

Please feel free to forward any additional queries, which I will be glad to answer.