Can laser improve vision problems due to diabetic retinopathy?

Hi, I am 49 years of age, 160cm, 73 kg. i have an hereditary bone disease, osteopetrosis which causes me to break bones easily and gives me significant pain I also have renal tubal acidosis associated with this. I am on medication for cholesterol, blood pressure and depression ( related to current circumstances) I have had diabetes for 14 years. My eyesight in my right eye has deteriorated and i was recently told by an ophthalmologist that I have diabetic retinopathy. I am supposed to be having some form of injection and scan in the next couple of weeks (can't remember the technical term). When I asked if anything could be done to improve my vision, he was very vague and suggested that perhaps injections into the eye might help. There was no mention of laser surgery, why is this? Will my vision improve, or am I left with permanent damage?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later

Established procedure for diabetic retinopathy is to have flourocine angiography followed by laser photocoagulation. What basically happens is that due to ischemia there is new vessel formation. These new vessels are immature with deficient walls so they leak. This requires angiography to identify the leaking spots and to burn them with laser.

Ranibizumab (lucantis) is an intra vitreal injection that we give to control this new vessel proliferation. This again is to follow a flourocine angiography to show the leakage. The injection is to be given only if there is leakage from the new vessels.

This management is a perpetual process like control of diabetes and managing these complications as and when these arise. That is the reason for you have to have regular follow up to catch these complications at an early stage.

I feel I have answered your query fully and in case you have any issue please do get back to me.