Can lactogen be given to 9 months old child who is very weak?

Can i give lactogen 2 for my 9 months old daughter.. She s too weak.. Also i m feedng her. Her weight s 6.7 for 8 mnths.. Underwght.. Wat i can add for her
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can give lactogen 2 at 9 months age... Detailed Answer: Hi, Topup feeds including lactogen 2 can be given at this age. However that should not be the lone diet. You need to supplement her with other home made food. I prefer to start mashed potato, rice and dal. If you are non vegetarian you can also start fish as well as egg yolk. Start these weaning food one by one. You can also feed her with fruits and vegetable that are soft such as XXXXXXX banana, chickoo, papaya and so on. As far as weight is concerned, babies generally double its birth weight by 6 months and triples by an year. 6.7kg at 8 months is not under average weight; you need not be worried. Go ahead with good weaning food. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications Regards
Follow-up: Can lactogen be given to 9 months old child who is very weak? 3 minutes later
Lactogen ill nt create any loose motions or health problms.. Bcoz stil breast feeding her
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unpredictable... Detailed Answer: Hi, Lactogen as I said earlier is a topup feed used since years. Most children have tolerated it very well. However a small group of children were not able to tolerate leading to loose stool. Now it is highly unpredictable to know if she will have loose stool. You can try a small feed and stop it if she develops adverse effects. Adverse effects are not serious and should stop as we stop lactogen. Alternatively I recommend you try Nan pro 2 which is well tolerated by most children. This one is a product of Nestle and is equally effective as Lactogen. A reminder at this point is that, both Nan or lactogen are not replacement for normal weaning food. After all you would not want your daughter to grow up only on topup feed when she becomes older. Hope this helped. If you need clarification, feel free to ask follow up. Close this discussion when all your doubts are cleared. Regards
Follow-up: Can lactogen be given to 9 months old child who is very weak? 2 minutes later
Thank u .. Wat abt pedia sure?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nan pro 2 is a better topup feed... Detailed Answer: Hi, I am do not regularly use pediasure on my patients. However it is a product which you can try after 1 year of age. I would recommend Nan Pro 2 along with normal weaning food. If she doesn't add weight by 1 year, you can try pedia sure with continued monitoring from her pediatrician. Hope this helps. Regards