Ask a Urologist   »  

Can knee pain and blood in urine be signs of gout?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My husband slipped and fell a bit over a month ago, broke his lower leg in 4 places. A rod was surgically inserted in his leg and he's been recovering. While at home he has been taking the prescribed Hydrocodone when needed, Aspirin daily, SIMVASTATIN 40MG TABLETS daily and INDOMETHACIN 50MG CAPSULES daily to prevent the onset of Gout. A week or so after his surgery he began to experience pain in the knee of the broken leg; warm temp of the leg led him to believe Gout was about to come. His urine started off being dark yellow when he came home, with a strong smell. Within the last week or so his urine has lighten up and doesn't smell as strong. He say within this last week he has seen a small bit of light blood in his urine twice. Just today was the second occurrence, it appeared as if a very tiny clout of blood came out also. It's not pure blood, it's mostly urine, but there are some presence of blood in the urine, visible towards the end as he drain. Our family doctor is over booked so we won't be able to be seen until the end of Feb. Please let me know if this is something major requiring us to go to the emergency room. I'm thinking it may be a bad bladder infection given the strong dark urine previously. He also says it feels as if he still has to urine within his penis, but upon going to the washroom it doesn't comes out quickly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. If he is able to pass urine and there is no pain or macrohematuria with fever then this is not an emergency. Blood urine is in most cases caused by 2 things. first and most common is uroinfection and it is usually associated with burning sensation during urination and feeling of pressure in penis and bladder. Uroinfection in men can be associated with prostatitis or prostate enlargement and this would expalin all his symptoms. Secondly,it can be caused by kidney stone which commonly lead to blood in urine and bigger stones can cause occasionaly inability to urinate. Other possible causes are less common but may be more serious such as prostate or bladder tumors. Also,urethral injury can be cause as well. I dont think that these medications are related to his symptoms. So I dont think that you need to go to er,but if his symptoms persist for several more days then further tests are necessary. he should do at least basic urine analysis and ultrasound to rule out infection and stones. If fever and burning sensation occurs then he should take antibiotics empirically and do urinoculture. All in all, serious diagnoses are rare in his age,and this is probably infection or kidney stone. he should drink plenty of fluids and uroprotective teas and see will there be improvement in next few days. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards