Can kidney stones and cortical thinning cause renal failure ?

I have small stones in borth kidney and mild cortical thinning, does this mean renal failure/
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Follow-up: Can kidney stones and cortical thinning cause renal failure ? 2 minutes later
also have had small cysts in both kidneys for years
Follow-up: Can kidney stones and cortical thinning cause renal failure ? 15 minutes later
kidneys are normal and size and swelling, I googled it and it said that renal failure is the cause of thinning cortical, I am scared
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 59 minutes later
Hello Marsha,

Renal cortex is the functional tissue that essentially gives the kidney its shape with a small capsule outside. In layman terms, you can compare it to the pulp of an orange. In most of the patients, cortical thinning can result from frequent chronic inflammation, like glomerulosclerosis or glomerulonephritis which can occur as a result of cysts or stones in the kidneys. This could be due to mild renal failure but it has to be proved by investigations.

Renal failure occurs when the kidneys cannot do the primary work i.e. it cannot adequately filter toxins and waste products from the blood. It is of two types: acute and chronic.
1)     Acute renal failure occurs when the blood supply to the kidneys is suddenly interrupted or when the kidneys become overloaded with toxins
2)     Chronic kidney failure occurs in cases of diabetes, hypertension and serum urea, creatinine, BUN, glomeular filteration rate, urine examination, urinary protein, albumin and a renal ultrasound. I suggest you to get these tests done from a nephrologist to rule out any renal failure.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health