Can it be torn labrum if unable to move arms sideways after shoulder injury?

My son injured his shoulder in a wrestling match. He was slammed on the head of his deltoid. He can lift his arm in front but not to the side, very painful. Could this be a torn labrum?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, it could be a labrum tear Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Glenoid labrum is thicker in the upper aspects and undergoes lot of friction when upper limb is lifted up on the side. I suspect it to be a labrum tear in your son. I suggest strict immobilization of the shoulder joint with a splint. The more he moves the joint the more will be the damage to the ligament. Also I recommend him to take protein supplements which can provide the required collagen needed to repair the ligament. Hope, I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns. Regards,