Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2013
Sep 2013
Excellent

Question
Hi I have been trying to conceive but we only have sex maybe once a week or even less frequent. I am ripping my hair out because I have never been pregnant and I am now 38 but have never been caught. I was never sexually active until I was 26 but never been really very active. I have had an ultrasound scan which my Gynaecologist has corrolated with blood work and I dont have PCO, I am attaching the report. Everything with me and my husband is ok apart from me being overweight at 17st 7lb and husband smokes but has cut down a lot and has tobacco of 20 a day compared to cigarettes of 40-50 per day. He is trying to cut down more and I am trying to lose weight. Do you think i can conceive naturally with more cut backs and regular sex, how often should we be having sex for best chances to conceive. I do ovulate and I do have regular periods
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Infertility problem. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. Directly coming on the point. Your report of ultrasound dated 17-04-2013 is here & shows. Endometrial thickness 6.4 mm . Both ovaries are normal in size but numerous small follicles present, Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease cannot rule out. PCOS is not a big problem, since ovulation is there with regular bleeding. The main cause of concern is thickness of endometrium and endometrium thickness must be around 9-11 mm to conceive. ( 9 - 11 mm must be). Regular bleeding , ovulation , ovaries size , uterus size all are favorable for conception. Age is not a problem (38 years ) , smoking history of husband is not a big problem for fertility. Weight is not a problem. Naturally you can CONCEIVE but implant of fertilized ovum ??? a big question. However in few cases fertilized ovum may implant in this thickness of endometrium. Measures, Ovulation occurs 14th-15th day of menses . For pregnancy, sex is necessary 2 day before and 2 days after ovulation day. Hope this information will be helpful for you for conception. Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck for conception. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 5 hours later
So you think it is possible to conceive naturally if the time is right

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Dear XXXXXXX You will get pregnancy , naturally as all things are in your favor. Once again note as above mentioned and do like that , you will get success. Good luck for conception. Further I will reply happily , if any question.Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 4 hours later
How can I sort the endometrium problem? Will this be the cause of not conceive?

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: hormonal treatment Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Thanks , but need not to worry . For this treatment, you need to contact an obstetrician . Yes certain hormonal treatment is available for endometrial thickness . Consult an obstetrician and get his opinion as physical examination will play an important role. Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 24 minutes later
What do multiple small follicles mean? My gynaecologist says evwrything is good gynae wise and there is no need to worry about conceiving its all about timing. I have bought clearblue fertility monitor to help. If this shows ovulation does this mean I do ovulate? Thanks for your help

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: detailed below Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Actually small multiple follicles means there are numerous follicles and one of them mature on alternate month. One mature on right side , while on next month other follicle mature on left side . This is a good thing and you are right that ovulation occurring .This is a clear indication that you will get pregnancy and your gynecologist is also right that there is no any difficulty in getting pregnancy. Only point of concern is endometrial thickness and god will help that fertilized ovum will implant in endometrium , so carry on everything will be fine. Further I will be happy to explain. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 58 minutes later
I have had blood test to check egg quality not got results yet can you see any problem? Also as never be pregnant before or had any operation other than laprascopic cholecystectomy you think everything be ok

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infertility . Detailed Answer: Hello, Dear XXXXXXX Once follicle mature ( dominant ) and attain the size of 19-20 mm on 14th , 15th day and burst , it liberate ovum ( ovulation ) . HCG study show result . So be hopeful and you will get good result. Cholecystectomy has nothing to do with infertility problem . Hope information will be helpful. Further any question I am here for good answer. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 23 minutes later
So you see me healthy and no infertility issues

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infertility. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are healthy, but problem is not getting pregnancy that's why we call infertility. But its better to get pregnancy naturally and I am hopeful according to these reports . Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 6 hours later
If I have poor egg quality how can I make them good? What is the treatment if they are poor can I still conceive naturally?

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Ovum problem. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX . Once again thanks for query. I am sorry to say that we can't improve the quality of ovum.This is a god gifted and genetically related , so no way. Good luck for you . Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 7 hours later
You really think I can conceive timing intercourse with ovulation and you think egg quality should be ok? What causes poor egg quality please x

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Conception. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Yes I am optimistic that you will get pregnancy. Till now no medicine available which can change the quality of ovum ( egg). As we discussed on previous replies, please follow the instructions and do as mentioned , you will get success . Good luck. Dr.HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 3 hours later
As I have never conceive before do you think it is all down to timing of intercourse? Sorry for all the questions I am worried and panic I will never hold a baby in my arms x

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Keep trying Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Don't say sorry. It is a mere coincidence that did not get pregnancy, so what. This time you may be lucky. It is not too late. Keep it up as I mentioned. Good luck for future. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 29 minutes later
Thank you very much. I go to use a clearblue fertility monitor to try and help. Smoking husband drinking within alcohol guidelines husband and me be overweight isnt really significant and stopping me conceiving?

Brief Answer: Conception. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Keep in mind one thing that you will conceive . Ovulation , liberation of ovum +sperm of your husband = fertilization ,implantation and baby. Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 2 hours later
What causes egg quality to decline?

Brief Answer: Ovum quality. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. As in my previous replies I mentioned that egg quality in human being remains same. Quality is not poor or superior. It is the sperm which play an important role in sex determination. Good luck.Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 24 hours later
Thank you so much you have really helped me. How do I contact you in the future when and if I need to?

Brief Answer: Contact Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Once again thanks for calling. It is my pleasure , any time you can contact me over this site i.e.H.C.M. Forum. Once again very very good luck for future. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 54 minutes later
I will come back when things happen just to let you know xx

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good news for conception. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Eagerly I am waiting for good news.Good luck. Thanks ,thanks, Dr.HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 7 minutes later
Last question is it true if you ovulate you will get pregnant

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Conception . Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX . Once again ,nice to talk you. As I replied in previous replies , once ovum ( release) + sex +sperm ==FERTILIZATION ( pregnancy). Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Can irregular sex and being overweight be the cause of not getting pregnant? 17 hours later
How long should I try to conceive before asking for help as I want to conceive naturally and I am sure from your previous replies this will be achievable What actually causes low spern count? If it is low how can you increase it? I always thought smoking reduced it? Is it just something to blame it on? Are there many more people fertile rather than infertile? Is infertility not a major concern as much as I am having keep read up about it

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Fertility & infertility. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX . Hoping you are in good spirit and health. 1 You will get pregnancy within 3 month , so wait for ( rather try ) for 3 months. 2 Smoking decrease fertility or sperm count but in mild form .So this is not a cause of concern . Very heavy smoking is somewhat concerning. 3 In world at present 90-95 % peoples are fertile according to new study. Infertility is not a major concern , but for them ,who are , a major concern. Good luck. Dr.HET

So if husband smokes 20-30 per day should he be ok he wont have sperm tested Clearblue fertility monitor on day 7 is show high fertility. If I have intercourse every other day and intercourse on peak days should I conceive this month? What effects does lager or bitter have on nens fertility? Drinking 4 units per day