Can hsv2 infection lay dormant for years without showing any symptoms?

Question
sexual healthis it possible for a std like hsv2 to lay dormant for up to ten years without an outbreak?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later

HSV 2 infection can be asymptomatic and can lay dormant for years without showing any symptoms.
A blood test will help in the proper diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Can hsv2 infection lay dormant for years without showing any symptoms? 2 hours later
would it show up in just a normal blood test that checks for everything else?
Is there a certain type of blood tes, or is it just
the standard one you would have at an annual check up?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The standard test at the annual check is enough to detect it in most of the cases. You can also go for a specific antibody test in case the standard test comes positive.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Can hsv2 infection lay dormant for years without showing any symptoms? 46 hours later
None of my blood test have ever. came back positive,, but I had an out break, I resently had a child should I be worried about her?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
If you have had an outbreak recently then the chances of transmitting the infection to your baby are high. You need to get her evaluated by a pediatrician.
Regards.