Can high sugar level cause vaginal itching and bleeding ?

Question
I'm a 59 years old and my viginal's been itchy and I've been scratching it and really wash it hard when I go take a bath but today, it's bleeding, dark blood coming from my vigina. I'm a diabetic and I know my sugar's been high.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
Hello

If you have any vaginal discharge, foul odour associated with itching, then its possible that you have a vaginal infection. Diabetic patients have higher tendencies to develop infections esp yeast,vaginitis. A course of antibiotics is recommend to treat such infections.

The bleeding from the vagina obviously isn't normal, espcially after menopause.

You need to be examined to determine whether the bleeding is occurring locally or from the uterus. Aggressive itching may also be a cause but at your age. Hence it would be wise to do a pap smear and an ultrasound to figure the cause of the bleeding.

When sugars are high, you are prone to frequent infections and delayed healing. So getting your sugar under control should be a priority.

I suggest you to report to your doctor and get examined first; to see the source of the bleeding and also get antibiotics for the infection.

Hope I have answered your query. I am available to answer your follow up queries.