Can herniated disc at L5 region lead to disability?

Nov 2013

hi , I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in l5 region in left side.iam 30 years oldWhat are the chances that my condition will turn to a disability? I am very scared
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about the MRI findings. Herniated disc at L5 region on left side may cause back pain, pain, tingling, numbness and weakness in left leg. However, with proper treatment, no disability would occur. Treatment requires use of medications such as pregabalin capsules to relieve the nerve pain and physiotherapy (back extension exercises). In addition, you should avoid lifting heavy weights and forward bending. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: