Can head tumor recur in future after neurosurgery?

Nov 2013

In Aug 2010, I was diagnosed with astrocytoma and was operated by neurosurgeons I am having seizures since late 2008. But after neurosurgery and subsequent 12 sessions of Temozolomide, seizures have stopped Between Nov 2008 to Feb 2010, I had at least 10 seizures and medicines kept on increasing. After the 1st seizure a small glioma was observed in left side of head which never increased in size. But after my 1st operation and radiotherapy sessions were over, some fluid got formed that increased the intra-cranial pressure which led to weakening of the right leg and hand. But after the 2nd operation I recovered 90% of functions after 10 days physiotherapy, post discharge. After the 2nd operation in Sep 2010 subsequent MRI have revealed a mild post operative signature and nothing has changed other than that as per my MRI. My family does not have any history of seizures or cancer. Please advice whether this head tumor can recur in future? Is my doctor giving too many anticonvulsants? I started with Epsolin in 2008 but by 2012 doctors stopped epsolin. I have never vomitted since the last 4 yrs (except once during chemotherapy)? No headaches too. 4 months ago I told my doc I am having occasional jerks in right wrist. For which I was advised with lobozam 10, after which it stopped. Currently I am residing in Chennai. Profession: S/w Engineer
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting your query. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX I am glad to note that after two surgeries, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, you have done well. In addition, you are seizure free also. Regarding anticonvulsants, your doctor has so far done well. However, since you are seizure free for a long time, the doctor may try reducing one of them. However, this should be done very gradually, and if there is a recurrence of seizure, then, further tapering of the drug dose should not be done. Since both glioma and astrocytoma are malignant tumors, there is a chance of recurrence in the future. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: