Can get TSS from wearing a pad for long hours?

Can you get TSS from wearing a pad for too long?Like 15 hours?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concern.

Regarding wearing a tampon for more than 15 hours. It is remotely possible but not likely that this could lead to a situation of Toxic shock syndrome is much more of a concern if the tampon is left inside for more than a couple of days. In your situation. The concern regarding 15 hours of wearing the tampon does not make me worry unless you're having suspicious symptoms.

Symptoms which would be worrisome include fever, chills, abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting. These are symptoms which if they do occur should be brought to the attention of your physician as soon as possible. If you do not have any of these symptoms I am very confident that you're not dealing with a concern of toxic shock syndrome.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert