Can eye glasses be worn when suffering from Keratokonus?

Hi, I am suffering from Keratokonus and I have been asked to undergo C3R treatment. The doctor has told me that I will need to wear contact lenses post this procedure. Will it be possible to wear glasses instead of contacts?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is possible to wear glasses after 2-4 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having keratoconus and you have been advised C3 R treatment. Keratoconus is a condition where the cornea becomes weak and protrudes as a cone shaped protrusion. It will be a progressive condition with rapid progression in few individuals. C3R is a Corneal Collagen Cross linking, it is a simple procedure done to increase the collagen cross linkings in cornea to strengthen it. C3R increases the strength of the cornea thus decreases the chances of progression of the keratoconus. C3R is done debriding the epithelium and applying riboflavin to the cornea and exposure to uv light. After the procedure bandage contact lens is placed and this is necessary for rapid healing of the corneal tissue. Once it is healed which will take about 2-4 weeks bandage contact lens is removed. C3R is not done to improve the vision but it is done only to strengthen the cornea, hence post C3R you may require either contact lenses or spectacles after the surgery. Since you want to know that, is it possible to wear glasses instead of contact lenses after C3R, my answer is It depends on the post operative refractive error, if it is regular astigmatism you can use glasses. If the glasses fail to improve vision, next options are semi soft contact lenses or implantation of INTACS- INTRA CORNEAL RING SEGMENTS. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you