Can exercise cause a heart attack?

I'm afraid I will have a heart attack if I exercise. I'm 27, 5'5 220 lbs.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

No matter over weight or lean, exercise always reduces the risk of heart attack.

I would like to know the reason for your assumption.

Kindly do re-frame your query with some more information about your health status in it based on which you are scared of getting a heart attack.

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Can exercise cause a heart attack? 4 minutes later
Thank you very much for replying. I haven't exercised in probably 10 years. When I walk a short distance, I'm out of breath. I'm just scared that if I exercise and my heart pounds I will have a heart attack. I have no health conditions, just a little worried about exercising bc my heart pounds so badly.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Need not worry; if you are overweight the heart does need to work extra to pump the blood into the exercising muscle. This does not result in any complication as you fear.

Such risks can be determined by getting a complete blood lipids levels estimated. The lipids like cholesterol, LDL (low-density lipoproteins), HDL (high-density lipoproteins) determine the risk or the chances of you getting heart problems.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.