Can endometriosis dry up on its own after stopping premarin?

Can endometriosis dry up on its own after stopping Premarin? I'm taking progesterone which my gyno said will help dry it up. Also, I started taking Premarin immediately after my hysterectomy in 2000. I had to wean myself off because my gyno said it was feeding the endo. I've been off of Premarin for about 6 weeks now and feeling like I'm in full blown menopause. Is this possible?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Premarin contains conjugated estrogens which helps in the growth of ectopic endometrial tissue thus increasing the symptoms of endometriosis.
Progesterone suppresses the growth of endometrial tissue and a high dose therapy is recommended to get rid of the symptoms. Once the pain subsides, the progesterone therapy can be weaned off.
After hysterectomy, since you are symptom free, you can start gradual tapering off of progesterone or reduce the doses after consulting your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Can endometriosis dry up on its own after stopping premarin? 17 hours later
Thank you! How much progesterone do you recommend I be taking to get rid of the endometriosis? Also, it seems like I'm going through menopause or my hormones are just out of whack after stopping the Premarin. My endo symptoms I've noticed get worse certain times during a month. How long should it take for the progesterone to dry up the endo? And if the endo has spread to other areas, will the progesterone take care of it too? I'm wishing now that I would've had a laparoscopy done.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Initially high doses 200-400mg daily is needed according to the severity of the problem. After 2-3 months the doses are reduced or are given in the last 10 days of the cycle.
This high dose progesterone will take care of endometriosis at all the places.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.