Ask a Dentist   »  

Can discoloration be due to sternoclavicular dislocation ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I injured my collar bone while exercising yesterday (an abrupt boxing kick with my right arm) and now I have a little bump/lump on my collar bone, close to the throat that moves with the bone while I move. It was painful when touching all day yesterday but today it feels a bit better. The lump is still there though. Could it be a fracture or an inflammation?
Age 38, height 5.6, Weight: 110lb, healthy.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 42 minutes later

I doubt it to be a fracture, but it could probably be a 'sternoclavicular dislocation' or in short the inner joint of your collar bone perhaps has dislocated. Its difficult to opine without examining you. Fracture of the collar bone is so painful that you would require to visit a doctor. If the lump you felt is a bony one, it should be a dislocation. If it's a soft one and decreases in size on application of ice, it should be only a bruise or a minor hairline fracture.

If the pain and swelling doesn't subside in 2-3 days time, I suggest you to visit an Orthopedician at the earliest. He would require an X-ray to diagnose the fracture/ dislocation.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. I will be available for your follow up queries.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Can discoloration be due to sternoclavicular dislocation ? 5 hours later
Thank you for the answer. The lump is a bony one.
If it's a dislocation, what would be the solution/treatment to get it back into place?
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 12 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

If the dislocation is just a few days old, it can be reduced back to normal by an Orthopedician and you'll be on an arm sling and strenuous activity restriction for 6-8 weeks. This procedure can be done under sedation or in full consciousness, if you can tolerate it. It usually takes only a few seconds.

Kindly visit an Orthopedician at the earliest. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Wish you good health.

Hop I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.