Can diphenhydramine cause ringing in ears?

can dyphenhydramine build up in vital organs to damaging levels, including permanent ringing of the ears?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear abut this ringing in your ears after taking diphenhydramine. It is called tinnitus in medical terms. It is a recognised side effect of this drug and does not necessarily need to be in high levels for this to happen. This drug is generally transformed into inactive products through metabolism and rarely do we get excess accumulation except in the case of accidental or voluntary excess oral intake. I hope this answers your query fully. feel free to ask for more information if need be. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.